Friday, March 14, 2008

A turtle called dark genius

I just discovered the most incredible ancient chinese philosopher. This guy, zhuangzi, is at least ten levels of amazing. I got three of 'em, but I'm sure there were more that I didn't pick up on. His self-titled (I love that, like it's his first solo album or something) book is filled with daoist influenced philosophy, but all of it's captured in these really surreal stories. Here's just a little sample of the cool that is zhuangzi:

"The morning mushroom does not know the waxing and waning of the moon, and the Hui-cricket does not know spring and fall. This is because they are short lived. South of Chu there is a turtle called Dark Genius, which counts five hundred years as a single spring and five hundred years as a single fall. In high antiquity there was a tree called Big Spring, which counted eight thousand years as a single spring and eight thousand years as a single fall. Nowadays, only eight-hundred-year-old Peng Zu is famous, and everyone compares themselved to him. Isn't it sad?"- Zhuangzi; Zhuangzi

Now that I write this I realize there are better qoutes, but I just loved the turtle called Dark Genius and the fact that the old man is famous for being old. Isn't it sad?

No comments: