Wednesday, June 17, 2009

More Bellow

Owing to the TB I connected breathing with joy, and owing to the gloom of the ward I connected joy with light, and owing to my irrationality I related light on the walls to light inside me. I appear to have become a hallelujah and Glory type. Furthermore (concluding) America is a didactic country whose people always offer their personal experiences as a helpful lesson to the rest, hoping to hearten them and to do them good- an intensive sort of personal public-relations project. There are times when I see this as idealism. There are other times when it looks to me like pure delirium. With everyone sold on the good how does all the evil get done?
-Saul Bellow, Humboldt's Gift

A flowering of post-modernism is how I always think of Bellow, but with a depth of insight that po-mo stuff can many times lack.

No comments: