Monday, January 14, 2008

Is it any wonder?

There was a confluence of events last week that has me thinking about the state of the world once again. I have to admit that I've been cynicized by my own failure to engage successfully in the political process or do much that was of any use to anyone anywhere. That about sums up how I feel about myself right now. It's not that I don't pay attention or care. It's just that my own Quaker background requires a supererogation from its adherents. The Q's have been on the forefront of progressive movements since the early days of the American colonies, and their modern counterparts are no slouches themselves. Well, except for me that is.
Anyway, the point I was trying to get at through all that was that I read the book, Three Cups of Tea, last week, and was pretty blown away at what this guy Mortenson is doing trying to build schools in rural Pakistan. It's really important work, and I applaud him for it. The world could definitely use more earnest, determined, slightly goofy souls like his appears to be. If only I weren't such a selfish, cynical bastard, I might do something useful too. It's a good lesson in the application of yr own spirit to the problems you see at hand around you. Not all of us can be that seriously determined, but it's always inspiring to see that kind of pluck in action.

No comments: