Saturday, March 1, 2008

Two seemingly unrelated things that leave me disquieted

I was errantly reading a co-worker's copy of The Wall Street Journal at work the other day, and I saw two articles that caught my attention and gave me pause. The first...actually the second but less upsetting was a short article on Ryan Seacrest. As it turns out, not only is he a busy mofo, but he's one business savy mothertrucker as well. Here's the skinny. Seacrest has syndicated his morning LA radio show. Not only does he own and produce the show, but he's also selling the ad time himself, instead of the usual arraignment wherein the distributer sells ad time and sucks up more casheesh. So, you gotta give him props for that, but here's what caught my eye in the article, this comment: "Ryan Seacrest is one of the most commercially viable, advertiser-friendly personalities in Radio today." What the? I'm sorry, and I generally try to make at least the most minimal effort to avoid snarkish behavior, but Ryan Seacrest is a tool. His faux-happy smile and his painted on personality irk the shit out of me (and I rarely swear in print [but I am feeling quite at the edge today]). He really rubs me the wrong way, and essentially he is a tool, as in tool of the corporate powers that be. This is what kills me; people lap it up like puppy dogs. Seriously, middle America pick up on the ugly vibrations already.

Okay, so now that I've insulted yr average Joe and Jane America, let me turn the table and get at the other article and the sophisticated set because this is really foul and made me very, very upset when I read it. Now as preface, let me say that I get the whole runway fashion as shock and art over and against actual practical clothing, and I say fine, what the #$^% ever. It's yr world, go to town, but here's where I have to get up on my soap box and say shame, shame know yr name. Apparently this 15 yr old girl, Ali Micheal was the 'it' model of '07, but she couldn't get arrested this year because she gained 5 pounds. If you see the before and after pictures (and I'm sorry but you'll just have to get them from the journal because as of right now this is not a multi-media blog [maybe at some future date, but right now it's all about the rant]), you'll see that she goes from anemic looking to normal looking, and in the runway fashion world there can be no greater crime for a model. The designers all said that her legs were "too plump" AKA not stick-like, and apparently when questioned about this Issey Miyake just kept repeating that she was "just not suitable for our clothes."
She basically says that she knew she was giving up a supermodel career by not starving herself, but she saw so many of her peers making themselves sick, and she wanted to be, you know...healthy. This gets my righteous anger really flowing. This girl was 15, and she has to sacrifice her career for her health. What is wrong with this industry? What is wrong with you people? Jimmy Pihet, spokesman for the Federation Francaise de la Coutoure, makes the outrageous claim that "models aren't role models for young girls...actresses play that role." What fucking universe are you living in pal, because it's not this one? If this asshole, thinks that there aren't girls all over the western world messing themselves up with bulimia, anorexia, and general body dismorphic disorder because of him and his sickened industry of artistic dilentantes then he is a fool and like Seacrest, a total fucking tool.
I'm just too angry to work the connection between these two articles because I do think there is a connection, if tenuous and a bit of a stretch. I think you probably have an intuitive grasp of what I'm getting at here, and we'll just have to leave it at that. On a side note, this was all pretty harsh and swearific, but I felt the material warranted strong language. In a lot of ways that reflects my current mood moreso than anything, but that doesn't negate anything I've said. I do at times admire the art of fashion, but many other times I think the whole project is utterly ridiculous. Of course, the same could be said of me, so I'm sure the feeling would be mutual.
Anyway, here are links to the articles, and you can decide for yrself:

Wasn't Skinny Supposed to Be Out of Fashion by Christina Binkley
Next Up for Mr. Seacrst: Peddling Ads for Radio by Sarah McBride

No comments: