Sunday, December 23, 2007

What's in a name?

I have to say one of the initial barriers to starting a blog for me was the word blog. The word seriously sucks, not to mention is conceptually faulty. A log is what truckers keep to account for how much sleep they've gotten while they're on the road. The general form of blogging seems closer to journal writing. Plus the word blog is two letters away from being blah. Is that really where we want to be? Given that we (and by we I mean a generalized me or a stereotyped you) love to acronymize, abbreviate, and generally shorten over words, it would have to be something that can be in some way truncated in a satisfying way. So on that note I vote for the slight and easy shift to webjournal, and we can then shorten it to the much more endearing word ebjo or even bjour. Admittedly, those shortenings aren't entirely satisfying, but to me they are miles ahead of the word blog, or maybe we could come up with a good acronym like WEPJEC for web-enhanced personal journaling experience and content. I suppose ultimately it's too late. The word has been permanently tattooed in our collective consciousness, so I'll just have to live with it, but I still like ebjo or WEPJEC better.

No comments: