Friday, February 1, 2008

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

I just have to get into a semi-rave about the above titled book by Umberto Eco. This cat has it down. The book is such a great intermix of psychology and story, and the whole thing starts out in this really surreal style that is just the tops. I've just started the book, but so far I'm heavily impressed.
I'm also reading Ian McEwan's Saturday, which also has some good neuropsych stuff as the main character is a neurosurgeon. It's quite good, with a wonderful way about it, but Eco is just blowing my doors off right now, so his solid and commendable writing seems a little formal next to the wild wonderfulness of Eco. Eco just has this amazing faculty for building this great story in a way that's so...unique.
I gotta work solidly on my ability to write about books I'm reading, if I want to get Cross-Referenced modulates really going. I haven't been able to really work that scene yet, but on Monday I'm getting internet access at my home, which I haven't had in years, so I'll be able to work on them in a place where I'm more comfortable than here in the school dungeon or in my parents living room, which was where it all began.

No comments: